#11 - Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies  - Scott Westerfeld

I’ve read this series when it first came out in 2005 and I totally loved it. It was the first time I read a dystopian novel and I was immediately hooked.

I decided to re-read this series in English this time (cause in 2005 I read it in French, my English was still too basic) without knowing that Scott Westerfeld was actually planning on releasing 4 more books in the world of Uglies (YES, FOUR!). So now I am even more excited about going on with the rest of the series.

I’ve had so many feelings getting back into this universe; I think it will be hard to write a honest review. Re-reading a favourite book is something I adored, but when I haven’t read the book in more than 10 years it is even better. So yeah, I enjoyed it.

However, I may not have enjoyed it as much as I had ten years ago. I’ve read many other dystopian fictions since (and just books in general) so my criteria are not the same. I found some dialogues a bit too simplistic and some events were not natural: like the relationship between David and Tally really felt unnatural to me (without getting into much details because I don’t want to spoil anyone).

The characters were also not that well developed, they were simplistic as well and I would have like more depth about them. Well, they are really young and living in a world controlled by the government so that they don’t have the opportunity to develop their own ideas, I get that, but still, they could have been a little bit more complex in my opinion.

Apart from that, I think the whole idea is just amazing, all the technologies invented by the author are really great and could actually exist; nothing is exaggerated.

I am so excited about re—reading the rest of the series, even if I have read it many times before, it’s been a while so I discovered many details I had totally forgotten. And I can’t tell you how much I’m excited about the new books; it may have become my most anticipated release ever.