#61 - The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

The Sun Is Also a Star - Nicola Yoon

Another book by Nicola Yoon that made me cry (well, I did not really cry unlike in Everything Everything where I was almost sobbing!). I listened to it as an audiobook on my way to work every day and it was a great experience.

This book is about (impossible) love, but for me, it was more about immigration. It made me think about it in a way I had never before. I think it is really positive, I love books that made me think and I love even more books that I had not suspected would make me think.

My great-grandfather arrived from Italy 60 years ago to work in the mines. This is why today, I live in Belgium and I am a Belgian citizen. I never really thought that deeply about it, I'm born in Belgium so I am a Belgian citizen, it's something I've always taken for granted. Until I read about Natasha, a teenager living in the USA since her childhood until she is being deported to Jamaica because her family is undocumented (what does it even mean?!) As if someone could come to my door one day and tell me I have to go live in Italy. That seems totally unrealistic and impossible. And yet, it happens in some other countries, something I had never suspected before (well, I have never thought about it thoroughly)

Belgium is my home and it has always been. Just as the USA is Natasha's home. Why does she have to move in a country she does not know?

This was for me the most important part of the book. I did not really care about the romance because it felt too unrealistic for me, I find it unbelievable to fall in love so fast. Then again, the story was beautiful so I did not particularly care about the unrealistic part of it. It was enjoyable and also really funny.

I loved the fact that there was no "happy ending". It's sad, but it's also what life is made of. The very end was the part that made me almost cry.

Another thing I really enjoyed was that you got the stories of other people, the "extras" who are just there to fit a purpose for the MC. It was so great and so unique, I had never seen that in another book.

If you are searching for a book about love that is also full of diversity, this one is for you. I will read anything this great author will write in the future, she is totally amazing.