#43 - Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail - Cheryl Strayed

I read this book for "Main Street Station". It was recommended by BrokenTune, and it was such a great recommendation!

I had heard a lot about this book and about the movie (that I have to watch now that I finished the book). There is an episode of Gilmore Girls were Lorelai attempt to do "Wild". I did not know a lot about it when I watched this episode, so it was great to finally understand what it was about.

I love hiking and I always have. With the girls scouts (the equivalent of it in my country) we used to go hiking during our summer camp and it was always the best part of it. I enjoyed a lot walking with my huge bag pack, trying to find food and trying not to get lost. I have so many great memories and this book reminded me of them. Ok, it was often for 2 or 3 days and I was not alone, Cheryl’s experience was really different but still. I have always wanted to do something like that, but I’m way too scared to do it alone. I’m really impressed by what she did and I admire her a lot for that.

What I love the most about Cheryl is her honesty. She does not try to be someone perfect, she just tries to find herself and discover who she is. She made mistakes, but she doesn’t seem to regret it, because they are part of who she is. She is also really, really funny. I love learning about her experience.

The writing was also so good. I mean, it is just Cheryl walking for 300 pages, you would think it was going to be boring… but it never gets boring! It is always so dynamic and you are anxious about what is going to happen and excited as well. I really did not want to stop reading and I often thought about the book while I was not reading it. My boyfriend was getting crazy because I was always like “yeah, you know that Cheryl lost her toenails?”, “oh, it reminds me when Cheryl lost her boot, it must have been awful”. And I was going on and on; All. The. Time.

The day after I finished this book, we went to a festival. I had to carry my bag for like a mile and I thought I was going to die (ok, the bag was full of beer, beers are heavy. But I don’t think my bag was as heavy as Cheryl’s). And every time I was like “can you imagine how hard it must have been for Cheryl?”. My boyfriend just did not answered… (I can be really annoying).

Anyway, this ramling review to say that this book was amazing and I really recommend it to everyone. You won’t be disappointed!!