#5 - Heartless by Marissa Meyer

Heartless - Marissa Meyer

When I saw Marissa Meyer was writing a new book, I could not wait for it. When I saw it was a retelling, I was even happier. I pre-ordered the book, but it never came. I have no idea why, but when it was supposed to be sent, I got an e-mail telling me it was out of stock (why preorder a book if it's out of stock even after you preordered it... I have no idea.). And I could not find it anywhere (see, I live in a French speaking country where the english section in a bookstore is really really small. And they never have the latest book). I was desperate! Then I went to Maastricht (Netherlands, which is basically next to my home. It's a bookstore inside a church, don't know if you've already heard about it but it's pretty amazing) and I found it!! I was so happy I started it in the car.

Let's get to the actual review now instead ot this jabbering.

I liked that I found the craziness from Alice in Wonderland, all this nonsense that made me laugh so hard the first time I read it (just like The Wizard of Oz, does not make any sense, and it's amazing). Marissa Meyer did a really good job reproducing this atmosphere, the writing was amazing.

I did not expected Catherine to be like that, I was expecting I would be more inclined to love her (to hate more afterwards of course), but I actually did not really like her from the beginning. We can sense that she is growing more and more angry and mad and it's so well done (just like Queen Levana in the Lunar Chronicles, it's slow and powerful).

The food, OMG, the food described in this book. You can't read this and not want to eat tons of cakes. It was so beautifully described... it was mouthwatering.

The plot was great, I could feel what was going to happen, but it still surprised me when it did. I could feel Catherine's feelings growing stronger, her helplessness, her wish to open a bakery even if she knew she could not do it, her struggle between love and reason... It was great, really.
Now, I feel like I understand The Queen of Hearts. This is something I totally adore about villains, getting to know how they become like that. Because I'm convinced nobody's bad from the beginning, there is always something happening to make you who you are.