#1 - Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy) by Taylor, Laini (2012) Paperback - Laini Taylor First book of 2017 and I have to say, I'm not disappointed. I've been wanting to read this series for a while and this first book was a really good introduction to this new world. What was great about this book: - The female protagonist: I love Karou, she is such a great character. She's not your typical heroine. I love the fact that you slowly discover who she is, because at first you just think she is a typical teenager living in Prague. Then, you understand that there is some kind of magic involved and it's slowly revealed to you, I liked that! The world building was well done. - The writing: wow, it was the first time I read Laini Taylor and I love the way she writes: it's simple but so beautiful at the same time. - The plot: a bit slow at the beginning because you have to understand what world the characters live in. But then it's really action-packed without being too much, I hate it when a million things are going on and you just can't breathe because it's too fast. Karou is still living a regular live while being mixed into something more and that was interesting. - The ending: when you reach the last part of the book, you can't stop reading, you begin to understand what/who Karou really is, but you're not that sure either because it's so mysterious. At least, that's what happened for me. I can't wait to discover the rest of the series; this first book really got me into it!