Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour - Morgan Matson

It was my second Morgan Matson book (the first one I read was Since You've Been Gone). And I have to admit I prefer Since You've Been Gone. Don't get me wrong, this one was fantastic as well, but not such a light read.

Amy's character is not really complex and is easy to understand. Amy is a typical teenage girl who is experiencing some tough things. This book tells her journey (across the USA) but also her journey to find herself back. We get to know her better and we finally discover what she is hidding and why she is so scared of driving.

Roger is not as developed as Amy. He goes onto the journey as well and has a quest of its own.

Though the book, we discover what Amy and Roger will find, which is not exactly what they were looking for.

I enjoyed this book a lot. It was perfect for the summer and I just wanted one thing: to get in the car and drive. The concept of road trip is kind of different to us in Europe (or at least in small european countries like mine). First of all you have to be 18 to drive. Then  cars are expensive. People my age take the bus, few of them have their own cars. And the longest journey I could do while staying in my country will be of more or less 3 hours. That's why it's even more appealing to me. It's something I've always dreamed of. While I was reading I had Google Map open and I was checking the states Amy and Roger were crossing (because yes, I know where California is but when it's question of Utah, Connecticut or Tennessee I'm a bit lost). It seems wonderful and I had fun discovering stuff about the USA through this book!

I really recommend reading this book if you love contemporary and if you're searching for a fun read for the summer (well, not everything is fun, some parts were quite emotional)