T5W: Characters I Defend

Top 5 Wednesday was created by Lainey from gingerreadslainey and was handed over to Samantha from Thoughts on Tome. Here is the Goodreads group for T5W.

This week's topic is: Characters you defend. So, characters you love but some other people don't, so you defend them! It was difficult to choose and the ones I chose are not especially hated but they are most of the time not the favourite one.

Here is my list:

5. Peeta Mellark from The Hunger Games

I think many people dislike him because they think he is weak (his love for Katniss made him kind of weak, but he still managed not to get kill in the Hunger Games). I really like his character and the fact the he would do anything to protect Katniss. The first time I read the book, when they announced there was suppose to be only one winner I swear I wish Peeta was going to win (I did not know the outcome yet!)

4. The Lannisters from A Song of Ice and Fire

I think all of them are pretty hated and I know they deserve this hate sometimes, but they are just like other Houses, trying to defend their family and to keep their powers. They do despicable things, especially Cersei and Joffrey. Actually I just think Joffrey is a piece of shit and he has no good in him. But Cersei is just trying to defend her children like any other mother would do. I don't want them to rule, I don't like most of their choices but I think they don't deserve to be more hated than some other Houses (I still hate Cersei for hurting Sansa so much and her hate for Tyrion is driving me crazy).

3. Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter

And Slytherin in general. I'm a Slytherin defender. I found out I was a Slytherin with the first Pottermore sorting test, but I've always been fascinated by this house and I don't like the fact that they are so hated. Great wizards came from Slytherin, but we only remembered the bad ones, it is infuriating. Malfoy makes bad choices and he comes from a despicable family. But he also has some kindness and his brutality is a shell he got to protect himself from his father and other people like him. I think people just don't understand him and it makes me sad because I really like his character.

2. Smeagol a.k.a Gollum from The Lord of the Rings

I love Smeagol, he is an awesome character! He has some bad in him, even a lot, but he is struggling with himself. He is a really complex character and all the scenes where he got hurt really makes me sad. I just want him to be left alone, I have a soft spot for defensless characters like him. I'm happy Frodo saw some good in him and saved him multiple times.

1. Mare Barrow from Red Queen

Many people dislike her and I feel like I have to defend her. I really love her ideals and the fact that she wants people to be equal, that she can see that all Red are not good and all Silver are not bad. I did not approve of all her choices but I think we have to remember that she is still young and she does not really know how to handle things. I think she was a strong character, ready to sacrifice things in order to achieve her goals and free other people.

Which characters do you defend?

Thanks for reading,