Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn

Firsts - Laurie Elizabeth Flynn

I would like to thank NetGalley and St Martin's Press for providing me with an advanced copy of this book.

Find the book on Goodreads.

Coming out: January 5th 2016

Firsts is the story of a girl who takes the virginity of some guys of her high school in order for them to give their girlfriends a perfect first time. I read this synopsis and was really intrigued by this book. I was expecting a light book with a lot of high school drama. And a lot of high school drama there was. But I would not say that it was a light book.

This story tackles so many important subjects that matter for teenagers, but for adults as well. Mercedes, the main character, has to deal with hatred from her classmates, complicated relationships with her best friend, the difficulty of love and teenager's emotions, messed up relationship with her mom and so much more.

I found myself really into the story. I was really involved in it and I could not stop reading. I found myself really sad for the character, annoyed with her choice, anxious at what was going to happen to her etc. That was really weird for me, I am usually really into books, but never with contemporary books. I have difficulty being emotional for "real" characters, living ordinary lives. But this was different. I really wanted to understand Mercedes and know why she was doing all this. But this book is so brilliant, that you need to finish it in order to understand her. And even if you don't approve of her choices, you will find yourself understanding why she did all that. I love how you know that something wrong happened to her earlier in her life, but that you only discover it a the end of the book. The writer gives you tiny bit of her story and you keep wondering what really happened (even if I have to admit, it wasn't a big surprise). Still, it was pretty intense but it was also really funny and entertaining!

I really enjoyed this book. I recommend it to anybody who would like to read something not too light, but not too deep either :)

(I am always really inspired when I write review in the middle of the night. I should do that more often!)