Children of Time by Adrian Tchaïkovsky (Net Galley)

Children of Time - Adrian Tchaikovsky

*This book was sent to me by NetGalley in exchange of a honest review*

Synopsis:

A race for survival among the stars... Humanity's last survivors escaped earth's ruins to find a new home. But when they find it, can their desperation overcome its dangers?
WHO WILL INHERIT THIS NEW EARTH?
The last remnants of the human race left a dying Earth, desperate to find a new home among the stars. Following in the footsteps of their ancestors, they discover the greatest treasure of the past age - a world terraformed and prepared for human life.
But all is not right in this new Eden. In the long years since the planet was abandoned, the work of its architects has borne disastrous fruit. The planet is not waiting for them, pristine and unoccupied. New masters have turned it from a refuge into mankind's worst nightmare.
Now two civilizations are on a collision course, both testing the boundaries of what they will do to survive. As the fate of humanity hangs in the balance, who are the true heirs of this new Earth? GoodReads

There are so many things to say about this book.. I am going to try to keep it short.

It was my first Adrian Tchaïkovsky’s book; I found the synopsis interesting and requested it. It was a really strong book with beautiful writing. It took me quite a while to read it (more than a week), because it was sometimes difficult to understand some parts of the book (English not being my mother tongue). This is the kind of story that you cannot stop thinking about, even when you’re not reading you’re wondering how to solve the problems the characters are facing.

We see the development of a new species which is really interesting. We get to learn their way of live which seems really weird for us, they do not behave like human beings, howeverthey kind of look like us. These are spiders, but do not think of them as the creepy spiders you find walking on your walls and that you want to crush, these are different. It is difficult to relate to their storylines though, you do not really understand what they want to achieve and how they can manage to do what they are doing, this is so different from what we know. But in the end, you finally sympathizes with these characters and you even find yourself caring for them.

There is also the storyline of the last representants of the human species, wandering across the universe on their ship, trying to find a new home. This ship (the Gilgamesh) is transporting a cargo, this cargo is actually full of human beings "in suspension" which means that they are sleeping (they are kind of frozen actually). Some of them wake up, then go back to sleep, then wake up again, which enables them to live a really long time. This was sometimes a bit difficult for me to follow.

I did not care that much for these characters, I wanted them to find a new home, a new planet to live on but I did not want them to kill the spiders. This is so wrong to do that and it depicts the human specias really well. If we want something, we are going to do anyting to get it, even if it means killing people and taking their home.

The spiders actually live on the Green Planet, they are part of an experiment of Doctor Avrana Kern, which is the creator of these spiders (as well as their Messenger). She does not want annyone to go near her planet and she does not let the Gilgamesh establishing a new home on her planet. This is when a "war" arose between Kern and the Gilgamesh

I ended up caring a lot for the spiders and not so much for the human beings (well, I am like this in real life, I always care too much for animals because I feel like they cannot defend themselves, unlike human beings).

I do not recommend this book to people who enjoys easy quick read. But if you feel like reading something different and really interesting, just pick this up. This is the kind of book that change your opinions on a lot of different things and that makes you think a lot. I really loved it.