MY TOP 7 BOOKS OF 2014

1984 - George Orwell, Erich Fromm Animal Farm - George Orwell Ready Player One - Ernest Cline The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey A Dance With Dragons - George R.R. Martin The Fault in Our Stars - John Green Divergent - Veronica Roth

I decided to make a list with my favourite books of 2014 (not books released in 2014, but books that I read in 2014).

As I only read 37 books last year (shame on me! I did an exchange and I traveled quite a lot so I did not have that much time to read, even if it is not a good justification) it was not that difficult to choose. Still I read many great books in 2014.

So, I decided to choose 7 books (do not ask me why 7)

1. Animal Farm by George Orwell. Yes, I only read this book last year. But I think that it is the best book I have ever read. I really cannot find any word to describe this book, Orwell is a GENIUS !!

2. 1984 by George Orwell: same here, Orwell is a genius, there is nothing else to say. Though I preferred Animal Farm to 1984. This book scarred the hell out of me, I remembered reading it in my garden during summer, it was super hot but I had goosebumps. Amazing.

3. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline: If you have not yet heard about this book, it tells the story of Wade, living in a dystopian future where most of the people escape from reality into the "OASIS",  a virtual world in which you can be anything you want to be. The creator of the OASIS, James Halliday have left a series of puzzle in the game, that will lead to the Easter Egg and the fortune of Mr Halliday. This book was totally awesome, fun, sad, crazy and creepy at the same time. It is full of references to the 80s pop culture, music, movies, games... I was so happy to read the scene about Monty Python's Holy Grail, it was so funny to read one of my favourite scenes of the movie.

Well, if you haven't read this book yet, what are you waiting for?

.4. The 5th wave by Rick Yancey: when I heard about this book I was like "a book about aliens, yeah why not", so I bought it, even if I was expecting a re-make of "The Host" by Stephanie Meyer... But it was totally different! It took me 2 days to read it, I could not stop, I could not put this book down. The characters are really great, Cassie is a total badass. I loved everything about this book, from the beginning till the very last line. I read the sequel, the Infinite Sea last month and I really enjoyed it. But not as much as the 5th wave. I really cannot organize my thoughts so just read it.

5. A dance with dragons by George R.R. Martin: the latest book in "a song of ice and fire" (WHEN IS "THE WINDS OF WINTER" COMING OUT?!! I CANNOT WAIT ANYMORE). It was my favourite book of the series so far, I cannot really explain why without any spoilers so... Everybody knows about this series, so there is no need to give you the synopsis either. I just wanted to say that this book was amazing and that I love George R.R. Martin

6. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: I am not really used to reading contemporary books (it's the only contemporary book in my top btw, and one of the only contemporary books on my full-of-dystopia-and-fantasy shelf, the other being books of John Green as well), but this one surprised me a lot. I do not need to give you the synopsis I guess. This book was fun and really sad as well, the characters are so real, and the story is so real as well. One of the things I love the most about this book is that it takes place in Amsterdam. For one, I know what it looks like because I've actually been to Amsterdam twice. Most of the time, the books I read takes place in the United States and I've never been there, so it's kind of difficult to understand the scenary because Europe does not look like it at all. And I was really happy about that, I've been to some of the places where Hazel and Augustus go (Fun fact: Augustus means August in Dutch. Not that funny actually but well). Anyway, if you want to cry, read this book!

7. Divergent by Veronica Roth: Ok, I felt like I had to read this book. Weird, I know. But I had this kind of feeling that if everybody loves it so much (and that everybody compares it to the Hunger Games being one of my favourite series), I should read it. My best friend offered me the box set for my birthday. I was happy, but anxious that I was not going to like it. But I LOVED it. The idea of a society where you can be only one thing (kind, brave, selfless, honest or educated), and not all of these at the same time, is really creepy. Tris is a really cool character, she discovers who she is by not choosing the lifestyle her parents had chosen for her. There is also a lot of action in this book.

This book was fantastic !

So these are the books I enjoyed the most during the year 2014! Tell me about yours :)